Electrical Safety

Electrical fires are becoming increasingly common as we have greater and growing need to charge and power our various appliances and devices. The average home has 7.4 internet connected devices which could lead to the temptation to overload plug sockets. This is only one of several common causes of electrical fires in the home.

Don't Overload

Plug sockets and extension leads/reels can easily become overloaded, causing overheating, putting you and your home in danger. Power adapter blocks which allow you to plug in multiple items should specifically never be used with extension leads.

Visit Electrical Safety First to check if you're exceeding the maximum load for your extension lead.

Check your Cabling

Upcycling has seen a huge revival in recent years and while giving older items a new lease of life is good for the environment, it could mean that you overlook a potential hazard. Fraying or twisting to the cable or an item with a loose plug could cause a spark/short when plugged in. It's best to replace the item if the cable is frayed and dispose of the item as indicated by the manufacturer.

Don't use a plug with cracked housing either - it could mean that the plug is not grounded and lead to an electric shock.

Unsupervised Charging

Your phone and laptop chargers can become hot when charging, so it's best not to leave these items plugged in to charge without supervision, or overnight. If you must, you should ensure that they are away from soft furnishings and on a heat protective surface.

Mobile Heaters

Space heaters and electric blankets can cause a huge fire risk in your home. Space heaters should be kept away from a confined space and shouldn't be covered at any time. Electric blankets should be switched off when not in use.

Own a Class E fire extinguisher and fit smoke alarms

These fire extinguishers are expressly for electrical fires – specifically Dry Powder, or CO2. Putting water on an electrical fire will not only cause further damage (possibly widespread damage if they short the electrics in your home), but could potentially result in electrocution. No other type of fire extinguisher should be used on an electrical fire. The extinguisher type is clearly labelled on the side of the canister.

Installing smoke alarms will provide an early warning, and could help save your home and the lives of you and your family.

All images used on this website are subject to copyright © Luceco plc and other image rights holders where applicable. Reproduction prohibited unless prior permission is granted by Luceco plc in writing.